In our FAQ’s we have included information about the methods you can use when you are applying for Social Security disability. With cutbacks in staff and reduced office hours due to budget cuts, the Social Security Administration is increasingly encouraging claimants to file applications for benefits using the online application contained in the Social Security Administration’s official website.
Applying for Social Security disability online has several advantages:
- It is more convenient than visiting your local Social Security District office where waiting times are more and more extended.
- You will generally find it easier to come up with all of the information necessary to complete an application – things like names and addresses of doctors and hospitals where you have been treated – if you are using the computer in your home to complete an application.
- Your application will likely be competed sooner, and therefore processed more quickly than if you use the other methods of applying for Social Security disability benefits.
Important consumer alert:
Be careful, however when applying for Social Security disability online. There are some traps on the internet that you should be careful to avoid:
- If you are looking for information about applying for Social Security disability online, go directly to the Official Website at https://www.socialsecurity.gov/applyfordisability/. The site is the most comprehensive source of information about the disability process and the benefits available.
- If you use a search engine to find out about and begin applying for Social Security disability benefits, only click when you see the search result that has“ssa.gov” in the web address or URL. Addresses that are “.com” or “.org” addresses are not official sites, no matter how “official” they may be made to look with flags, eagles and red, white and blue designs. Those commercial sites were created to sell services to you.
- If you want a “free” evaluation of your claim,simply apply for benefits directly with Social Security.That is the truly free way to see if you qualify. If you do not qualify, Social Security will tell you why.If you disagree – appeal. That is when you will need expert help.
- You should not need to appoint a representative to help you apply.Appointed representatives who do no more than file an application for you will often not be able to personally help with your appeal, but they will have you sign fee agreements to pay them if the application is approved. If you or a friend or a family member are able turn on the computer and make an online purchase, you have all of the skills you need to complete an online application for disability benefits.
Our attorneys at Goss & Fentress provide expert legal services representing Social Security disability and SSI clients who have applied for Social Security disability benefits, who should be entitled to receive them, but who have been denied. We can be there for if you need to appeal your case.