Have you experienced a personal injury after being involved in a car accident? You may be able to file a personal injury claim. It’s important however to understand what your rights are. Whether you were the driver or a passenger, there are steps to take to protect your rights and get the compensation you deserve. Find out everything you need to know about personal injury auto accident claims in this blog.
What is a Personal Injury Auto Accident?
A personal injury auto accident occurs when a motor vehicle crashes into another motor vehicle or a pedestrian. Bodily injury liability can even occur if a vehicle hits a stationary vehicle or objects. These accidents can result in physical, emotional, and financial damages to the people involved in the accident. An auto accident can range from minor fender-benders to major collisions.
In many cases, personal injury protection (PIP) or Bodily Injury Liability (BIL) insurance can help cover the costs associated with these accidents. In the case of uninsured vehicles, you may be left without any compensation which can make payment for medical bills quite difficult.
Types of Personal Injuries from Auto Accidents
If you are in an accident, it’s important to seek medical attention immediately to ensure that any injuries are properly diagnosed and treated. Auto accident injuries can range from minor bruises and cuts to more serious injuries, such as broken bones, spinal cord injuries, and traumatic brain injuries. Many people experience emotional trauma and PTSD following an accident.
Sometimes you could experience so much trauma that it may be difficult for you to pinpoint exactly where you are hurt. Other times, you may experience internal injuries that you may not feel the pain of just yet – this is another reason it is essential to undertake an examination from a medical professional.
Steps to Take Immediately After an Auto Accident
If you have been involved in a car accident, there are several steps you should take to protect your rights and ensure that you receive the compensation you deserve. Follow these steps after an accident:
- Call the police and report the accident
- Seek medical attention immediately, even if you don’t think you have been injured
- Exchange information with the other driver(s) involved in the accident, including name, address, phone number, and insurance information
- Don’t speak to anyone except your lawyer about details of the accident
- Take photos of the accident scene, including damage to the vehicles, any injuries sustained, and the surrounding area
- Contact your insurance company and report the accident
How to File an Auto Accident Personal Injury Claim
If you have been injured in a car accident, you may be entitled to compensation for medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering. To file a personal injury claim, you will need to:
- Obtain a copy of the police report, accident report, and medical report
- Contact the driver who is responsible for the accident and their insurance company and file a claim
- Provide all relevant documentation to the insurance company, including medical bills, police reports, and any other evidence that supports your claim
- Negotiate a settlement with the insurance company, or take your case to court if necessary
Hiring an Auto Accident Personal Injury Attorney
As you can tell, the process to file a claim can be complicated. An auto accident personal injury lawyer can help you to ensure that all documents are covered. If you are unable to negotiate a fair settlement with the insurance company, or if you have sustained serious injuries as a result of the accident, an experienced attorney can help you navigate the insurance claim process, negotiate with the insurance company, and ensure that your rights are protected throughout the process.